By Evan Vitale
Many of us look forward to the holidays as it creates seasonal employment opportunities to earn some extra income for gifts, trips, paying off debt, etc. Now – as we head into the busy shopping season – is the time to start looking for a part-time holiday job as many businesses are hiring.
Note: A friend of mine easily picks up a holiday job every year and, in almost every instance, the business asks him to stay at the end of the year.
Here are some ideas on where and how to find seasonal employment:
- Always keep in mind where you live in relation to where you are applying. Try to stay close to home or close to your other job. That way, you are minimizing travel time between jobs and your home.
- Decide if you are looking for restaurant or retail work.
- Consider applying at businesses where you normally shop or places that offer products and services you enjoy. Some businesses will offer employees a shopping discount, so that will mean extra shopping savings and help you stay within your budget.
- Consider applying at a temp agency. Many businesses prefer to hire through a temp agency giving you a larger employment pool of job opportunities.
- Be flexible. Chances are good that many retail stores are open Thanksgiving Day and may require you to work nights, evenings, weekends, etc. If you are restrictive in the days and times you are willing to work, you will become less attractive to a potential employer. Of course, if you have another part-time or full-time job, try to make yourself available during other hours of the day, weekend, etc.
Searching for seasonal employment is almost like a full-time job. Dress the part, hit the pavement and be prepared to complete numerous employment applications. Make sure you take a complete list of references, addresses, phone numbers, dates of previous employment, detailed list of skills, etc. This will save you time when completing applications (and there won’t be a need to fumble around on your mobile phone for information).
Start applying for a job today. Chances are good you can find something soon and earn 10-12 weeks of income between now and the end of the year!